Friday, December 21, 2007

Don't even get me started on the cheesy bread.

Unbelievably, we somehow made it out of Buenos Aires, albeit a bit exhausted and loaded down with more bags than we had originally planned...it was hard to leave, but we were psyched about our last week of the trip, to be spent in Brazil!

But I can't tell you all about it yet, like I want to, until I can find an internet cafe that will let me upload a few photos. And no, I can't ask the guy in charge because my Portuguese is limited to "Bathroom? (eyebrows raised)" and "two mango juices please." So pictures of the first few days will maybe have to wait until tomorrow or so. Right now, however, we are in Rio. And I can tell you a little about that.

We arrived in pouring rain two nights ago, and the weather has been better, but cloudy and drizzly, ever since. Not exactly ideal for the ever-popular lazy day on Ipanema beach. Sooo, maybe we haven't had the opportunity to put on our way-too-modest-for-Brazil swimwear and blind the locals with our whiteness here in Rio. So maybe we don't "speak" Portuguese. So what? There is still plenty to do here my friends! And so far, beyond a little neighborhood exploring, running, and streetcar rides to historic Santa Teresa, the vast majority of our tour here has involved--what else?--searching out the fine culinary delights that Rio has to offer. Oh yes, the language of food is universal! And fortunately here, you usually don't have to even say anything to get it. First, the free breakfast at our hotel is amaaaazing. Tropical fruits, pastries, strong coffee...anyone who knows me knows that that is pretty much all I need to be in a great mood. And it's free and buffet style, so I didn't even have to talk to anyone to get it! Then there was sushi. In a land close to so much ocean and with a sizeable Japanese population, it's pretty great. Last night Brian managed to order, receive, and subsequently demolish an all-you-can-eat deal, just by checking off some random items on a piece of paper! Not bad. In addition, many of the restaurants here are known as "kilos," as in kilograms, as in you go around and put a bunch of food on a plate, and then they weigh it and charge you. Bam! Can you say easy? And this is no Old Country Buffet, folks. We are talking amazing food of all kinds for very little money. And finally, the one type of food I have learned the vocabulary for: juice. On every--and I mean every--corner, there is a juice bar selling fresh "suco" of every kind, made to your liking. Seriously, ask me any fruit name in Portuguese, I know it. I could even order you a blend if you want.

The weather forecast is a bit better for tomorrow, our last day in South America. But even if I don't sit under an umbrella continuously slathering myself with sunscreen, I still have plenty to keep me happy.

More pictures and Brazil details coming very soon!

No comments: