Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Street Performance in San Telmo

So far we've spent most of our time in Palermo and Palermo Viejo. Although they're wonderful neighborhoods, we've spent most of our time lately setting up our lives for the time we'll stay. We've had to find an apartment, grocery store, and a coffee shop, all laborious tasks that really take it out of you. We got the internet working (all Margaret, she's the only who can talk to our service provider's costumer service in Spanish), found a gym, and set up Spanish lessons (all me, I'm the only one who can't speak Spanish). So, handling business has been our lives for the last week or so in the city people call the Paris of South America. Now all I am really looking to do is walk around, eat, go out and drink Quilmes (the national beer) and coffee.

Soon enough, I'm sure.

Today, however, we got out of Palermo. We ventured to San Telmo, a neighborhood just south of La Casa Rosada (a pink version of our White House) and Plaza De Mayo. On our walk, we encountered these two gentlemen:



It's a little embarrassing that a little wooden man can dance better than I can.

The street performances ranged from tango shows to accordion players. But this puppeteer was probably one of the best I've ever seen. The only street performer I can think of that's better is the monkey on 3rd street in Santa Monica that grabs money out of the spectators' hand and pockets it, but that's a different story.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

San Telmo..... You'll love it at night. There are wonderful Tango dancers in San Telmo with their Yerba Mate.

Very cool to see someone else enjoy South America.

Anonymous said...

two things.
1. your temporary found apartment is cuter than my permanent legitimate apartment.
2. "the paris of south america"? I am offended. that sir is no rue daguerre.

also p.s. two things...
brian, I ran into jessica berg at a random tfa event this weekend.
and i ran into shaneice in the parking lot and got her email address to give to you.
and
margaret, i'm so excited to be online friends with you, if only because your presence on my profile makes it automatically more stylish!